Faculty of Forestry IPB in collaboration with University of Goettingen Germany have successfully carried out the first block lecture on “Introduction to Genomic Approaches in Forestry” on 26-27 July 2011 within the framework of staff exchange and mobility under the HEP-DAAD Programs. The course was designed in “a block lecture system” with main objective to strengthen the basic knowledge of graduate students and teaching staff on forest genomics and its potential application. There were 34 registered participants attended the lecture mostly graduate students from various study programs such as silviculture, microbiology, biodiversity conservation, agronomy etc. Also, two participants come from Bandung Institute of Technology (ITB) and one from Pajajaran University (UNPAD). In his opening and welcome speeches, Dean of Faculty of Forestry IPB, Prof. Bambang Hero Saharjo pointed out the importance of sustainable biodiversity management in the era of global change and the future use of genomic tools for assessing the biodiversity resources. The two days lecture were guided and facilitated by Prof. R. Finkeldey (Univ. of Goettingen), Essy Harnelly (PhD Student at Univ. of Goettingen) and Prof. Iskandar Z. Siregar (IPB) in discussing the following topics: Basic Genetics and Genomics, Population genomics in Forest Trees; Genomic analysis: Tools and Methods; Markers, Comparative Sequencing, SNPs; Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) – Baseline information; DNA Barcoding: Background and application; Software and tools: alignment of sequences with BioEdit etc.; Genomic application in Ecosystem Analysis: Case studies; SNP and SSR analyses in forest trees. In the closing session, the course organizer, Prof. Iskandar Z Siregar (IPB), mentioned the importance of conducting cutting edge research topics and networking among young scientist working on the closely related fields. Finally, the lecture was closed by handing over the certificate of attendance to the participants. Further info please contact Prof. Iskandar Z Siregar (Email: siregar(a)ipb.ac.id)
- Article: Tree growth performance and estimation of wood quality in plantation trials for Maesopsis eminii and Shorea spp.
- Article: Adaptability of white jabon (Anthocephalus cadamba miq.) seedlings from 12 populations to drought and waterlogging
- Article: Closely related and sympatric but not all the same: genetic variation of Indo-West Pacific Rhizophora mangroves across the Malay Peninsula
- Article: Population genetics of the critically endangered species Dipterocarpus littoralis (bl.) Kurz (dipterocarpaceae) endemic on nusakambangan island, Indonesia.
- Article: An entrepreneurial, research-based university model focused on intellectual property management for economic development in emerging economies: The case of Bogor Agricultural University, Indonesia